torsdag 15. november 2012

Eternal Question.

Today I wanted to look up a quote from Simone Weil, but I seem to have misplaced my book. Her topic is Time versus Eternity. I know, roughly, the content of the quote (approximately, that Time helps us imagine Eternity, but that Time is still just a weak Ersatz for the real thing), but I wanted it in her exact words. It vexes my so much when this happens. What a waste of time! Instead of doing what I meant to do, I am searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack!  What is worse, I see no final solution to this problem. Of course, this particular missing book will turn up, eventually (I know it is around here somewhere), but alas! it will only be a matter of time before a new book goes missing, or a paper, or a computer file, as the case may be. To me, this looks like one of the so called Eternal Questions. Where is the damned book!? Throughout history, every philosopher must have asked this question hundreds of times, and they surely will continue to do so, if not eternally, to the end of time.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Indeed. I misplaced MacIntyre's After Virtue a few days ago, but fortunately have found it. (Right there on the bookshelf...)

    I hope you found Weil!

    SvarSlett
  2. Found it! Thank you.

    Mine just sat on the shelf too. As it turns out, I was looking for the wrong book. I thought I had read the sentence in one of her essays, but it turned up in Tyngden og Nåden (Gravity and Grace, I believe, in English). I am still looking for that other book, though.

    The quote, by the way, was the following:
    "Tiden er et bilde på evigheten, men den er også en Ersatz for evigheten," which roughly translates as: "Time is a picture of Eternity, but also an Ersatz for Eternity."

    SvarSlett